New to Yoga / FAQs
What is Power Vinyasa Yoga?
A powerful ﬂow practice which focuses on linking a sequence of yoga poses (asanas) with the breath (pranayama).
It is complete in that it is aerobic, anaerobic, tones muscle and improves balance.
The combination of breath and movement create a moving meditation where students become fully present to their breath & the present moment while letting go of their thoughts & stress.
This practice can be physically challenging but it is taught in a way that can be suited to a beginner and to an advanced yogi.
There are ways to modify the practice in order to make it accessible to almost anyone, of any age and any ﬁtness level.
At The Power Yoga Tribe, our Power Classes are practiced in a warm room kept at 92F. Heat is healing and is used as a means of detoxiﬁcation through perspiration. It is also better for your muscles and joints to practice in a heated environment. The heat may seem intense at ﬁrst, but after a couple of classes you will never want to practice in a cool room again.
The only heated classes are the Power Classes & Yoga Bootcamp, all other classes are non-heated.
First Time…Now what?
Good for you for Showing Up- that is the ﬁrst and hardest step! Now what? Just give it a try. Be gentle with yourself. This is probably completely new for your body, and it takes our bodies some time to adjust. Ease your way in. After a few practices, you will notice that you have become more acclimated to the practice and more familiar with the poses. The sooner you come back after your ﬁrst class and practice consistently, the more natural it will feel for your body. Your body will actually crave it as it is so incredibly healing.
If you can’t do all the poses, so what? Just do your best. Every time you come to your yoga mat, it will be a different yoga practice. Your body will be capable of some things one day and then not the next. Do what you can, modify the pose, or take Child’s Pose (a restorative pose that is available to you anytime you want it).
Assistants and Assists
At The Power Yoga Tribe, teachers often “assist” during yoga poses. There may also be a teacher’s assistant in the class. Assisting is not about correcting or ﬁxing poses. It is actually the teacher’s way of offering ease or a deeper aspect of the pose. The best thing to do is to relax and go with the assist. If you have an injury, please let the teacher or assistant know prior to class.
- This is hot yoga…you will sweat. If you sweat profusely, bring a towel and clean up after yourself.
- Always come fully hydrated drinking plenty of water/ﬂuids before and after class.
- Avoid eating 2 hours before class.
- Wear comfortable clothes that allow you to move freely while staying covered.
- Bring a yoga mat, towel, and water (we rent yoga mats for $2).
- Turn off cell phones.
- Place belongings (including cell phones & shoes) in cubbies outside of the studio.
- Arrive 10-15 minutes early to sign up, set up and prepare for practice.
- Check-in: Make sure you have been seen by our check in staff prior to class.
- We invite you to stay in the room for the whole practice. Please plan on staying until class is over as leaving early can be disruptive to others. We also do not allow students to enter a class 10 minutes after a class has started.
- Save in-depth questions for the teacher until after class. Please feel free to ask teachers questions- the teachers are there for you.